More about Vladimir Pavlovich Shkurkin
Vladimir P. Shkurkin (1900-1990) Classically trained in Kiev, came to the United States in 1925, where he lived in Seattle from 1925-1938. Art included many landscapes, Russian Orthodox icons, illustrations, and murals (Eagles Auditorium, 1925; Seattle Civic Auditorium, 1927; Egyptian Bldg 1930) and the murals and stained glass at the restaurant formally known as the Russian Samovar on Roy street in Seattle. Invited to San Francisco, in 1938 painted the murals for two buildings at the Treasure Island Worlds expo. He secured an artist/illustrator position with the Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, Calif., where he worked from WWII through his retirement in 1963. There his work included WWII War Bonds billboards, and illustrations of and on each submarine built at the shipyard. After his retirement he continued painting, traveling, exhibiting extensively, and giving lessons from his studio in Vallejo. He and his wife, Irene, were married for 62 years at the time of his death in 1990. They had two sons, Vladimir V. and George V. Three grandchildren, Sergei, Katya and Pavel, also studied art with him.
His granddaughter, Dr. Katya Shkurkin, began Shkurkin Arts in Lacey, Washington in 2001 as a way to distribute his art.